The Crane Institute Grows and Becomes the Crane Department of Music
In 1896 the Crane Normal Institute of Music expanded into several houses, all purchased by Miss Crane. These houses were located on the same block as the Normal School and allowed for the expansion of the program and academic organizations related to the music program.
Choral groups in Potsdam can be dated back to 1890, the most notable of which was The Phoenix Club, founded in 1894 (more information can be found in the Crane: Organizations and Groups page).
Among choral groups were the orchestras and bands of Crane. Julia Crane, though a primarily a vocalist, worked just as hard implementing an instrumental program as she did a vocal program.
Due to Julia Crane's dedication to music education, her name became very well known throughout the country. Prior to her death on June 11th, 1923, Crane attempted to combine the Crane Institute with Julliard in 1920, and later tried to have the state purchase the Crane Normal Institute. It was left in her will that the school was to be sold to the state first and, failing that, to a private buyer last.
On July 26th, 1926 the finalization of the sale to the state of New York was completed and the Crane Normal Institute of Music officially became the Crane Department of Music of the State Normal School at Potsdam.