As President of SUNY Potsdam Dr. Crumb was motivated to provide his students with every opportunity to develop into informed, creative, and responsible men and women. In order to achieve this goal Dr. Crumb maintained the highest standards in:
- recruiting outstanding faulty members.
- the conversion of the Normal School into a Liberal Arts College.
- developing the reputation of the school’s Fine Arts program.
- the continuing improvement of programs in teacher education.
- the physical expansion of the college (214-acre campus and 15 academic buildings).
Crumb was also an advocate of the sponsorship of graduate programs and Veteran affairs, and always encouraged Foreign Language education.