The Frederick W. Crumb Memorial Library was completed in 1967. The building, which is 73,100 sqft, contains:250,000 Volumes, including Periodicals, 210,000 Pieces of Microtexts, 2,000 Periodical Titles, and is a depository for US, Canadian and N.Y.S Government Documents.
As reposted by the Watertown daily times
"New Potsdam State Library to be campy focal point"
Housed: phonographs, Books housed by Dewey Decimal system, Books housed by L.C. (library of congress), Smoking rooms located on the second floor, A seminar and viewing room and Typing rooms.
Memorandum – January 25, 1968
To: Mr. Robert Burns, Facilities Coordinator
From: D.C. Yelton, director of libraries- Dr. Donald Yelton
Subject: Proposal for development of Merritt Hall as adjunct to Crumb Library, assuming no structural alterations or additions to Crumb
This memo calls for renovations to the physical education facilities to turn them into Library faculties as an annex to Crumb Library
1969 Jan 15- plans were released to establish space requirements to argument existing facility to accommodate recessed goals of 500,000 volumes and 5930 students
Proposed 600 sq. feet basement space of basement area to conference room and for accommodation of project staff of 25 libraries.
The Library was named in honor of President Frederick W. Crumb, for more information on F. Crumb please see our "Potsdam Presidents" Exhbit.
Stowell Hall was opened in 1964. It contained 20 diverse labortories including specialized laboratories for research in physical sciences, biological science, nuclear and radiation studies, electron microscopy. With the rapid growth of the science department, plans for a second building were starting to form. The Green House was constructed in April 1964. The building is known as the Science and Math Building and today contains laboratory and research facilities for Chemistry and Biology, and a planetarium.
The building was named after Thomas Stowell, who was the fourth President of the Potsdam State School and served as head of the Natural Science department for 20 years. While living at 6 Leroy street, he wrote numerous scientific papers and had 8 illustrated pamphlets on the origin and cranial news of the domestic cat, which has been used throughout the world.
He made leading contributions in the fields of microscopy, anatomy, comparative neurology and pedagogy(the method and practice of teaching, especially as an academic subject or theoretical concept)
Kellas Hall was completed in 1969 and is 58,611 sqft. The building serves as the Educational Communications Center, and contains six lecture halls, television studios and laboratories.
Named for Katherine and Eliza Kellas
Both graduate students of Potsdam Normal school and former members of Potsdam faculty nationally recognized education
Eliza Kellas was a 1889 grad of Potsdam Normal and a member of faculty following graduation 2 yrs. She went on to become the first President of Russell Sage College in Troy in 1916 and gained national recognition as principle of the Emma Willard School as Preceptress at P’burg Normal school
Katherine Kellas was a 1892 grad Potsdam Normal school and Precptress at Potsdam Normal from 1901-1917. She continued on to become the First Dean at Russell Sage college under sister Eliza.
Flagg Hall was completed in 1967 and is 53,000 sqft. It contains eighteen classrooms and laboratory buildings for the Psychology, Speech, and Language Arts departments. The buildig was named after Edward W. Flagg (1883-1923) who was classmates with President William Howard Taft.
Brainerd Hall was completed in 1969, the building is 37,288 sqft and contains 8 studios, an art gallery, and special classrooms for art history.
Timmerman Hall was completed in 1969 and is 74,588 sqft. The Physics and Geology Building contains laboratories, preparation rooms, and offices. The building was named after Donald Timmerman.
Donald Timmerman graduated from Antwerp High School and graduated college in 1938. In 1941 he earned his B.S. of Science from Cornell University. With an interest in ecology, Timmerman was an avid collector and eventually gave his collection to Potsdam. The Philidelphia native was unfortunatly killed in action in Okinawa, May 1945.
Memo from Prof of Biology, Paul Egan Hafer requesting to name the building after Timmerman
To Alfred Thatcher- acting president
May 4, 1967
Hafer states that because of the donations of specimen to the college enabled the students to learn effectively
Letter to William Benjamin chairman of Local council from Paul E. Hafer SUCP Prof of biology
Hafer acknowledged that even though his achievements of life dial not match up to the others. His contributions and life given for this country should be tendered.
Lehman Hall was completed in 1969, intended as a residence and dining hall. The building is 202,668 square feet, and contains 700 beds, 500 seat dining area which are divided into 4 smaller dining rooms, and rooms split into suites housing 6-10 students each. A major portion of the building will be 2 ½ stories and the south wing will be 6 stories. The building is named after Dr. Clarence C. Lehman who served as a Professor of education prior of becoming College president from 1939- Sept. 1945.
Completed in 1967, it is a residence and dining hall. The building is 195,800 square feet, and contains 642 beds and a 500 seat dining area. The building is U-shaped, has a 2 story and 6 story high rise.
Letter to: Dr. James A. Frost, Univ. Dean for 4 yr. college
From: Fred Crumb college president
•Letter outlined significance of Knowles
•Resolve: council recommends to the Trustees of state univ. of NY that the new night rise dorm to be named Liberty Knowles Hall
Meeting of local council of SUCP motion to William Colby and seconded by Benji. Grasso
Completed in 1961, residence hall
71,157 square feet, contains 300 beds
Named for Anna Patten Draime-1883-1927
Preceptress and first Dean of Women - Initiated Faculty-Student Government and Intersorority Council at Potsdam - Outstanding teacher
Thatcher Hall is a dining hall here at Potsdam. Completed in 1961 and 17, 402 sqft, the building seats 500 and has 2 floors, a loby and a dining facility. The building features a Terrazzo floor, Mosaic walls, Center stair way, Dining room- blue green motif, Construction held up by steel strike. Originally intended for Van Housen and Sisson Residence, the building now contains Dexters Cafe, one of the many dining options for students on campus.
The building was named for Hervey Dexter Thatcher. Harvey Dexter Thatcher attended St. Lawrence Academy and later operated drugstore in Canton. He was interested in education and was a Trustee of Clarkson College. In 1884 he perfected the glass milk bottle and in 1888 invented the paper cup. He was also instrumental in setting up world’s first milk pasteurization plant, he died in 1925.