Maxcy Hall was completed in 1972. The Physical education and Athletic complex is 212,889 square feet, and contains a field house, gymnasiums, swimming pool, indoor ice arena, and support facilities. It was featured in the magazine Architectural Record- March 1975 where it was noted for its design and size.
The building itself is named after Dr. John Wesley Maxcy, the Chairman of Health and Pys. Ed. Department from 1920-1964. At Potsdam he also taught health and Pys. Ed. He served in WWII as a Commander of the North Squadron Civil Air Control and died Jan. 8th, 1970.
Letter to William Benjamin Chairman board of visitors State University at Potsdam, NY
From Enice L. Badger retired instructor (1921-1953)
Jan. 20, 1970
Satterlee and library area on land which Dr. Maxcy bought through the Athletic committee and also through donations of alumni money for athletic field
1936 the athletic field was finished under W.P.A.
Maxcy persuaded army engineers to do some of the surveying
Some years later Sate of NY was persuaded to take over the title to the land
finished according to Badgers recollection had 12 tennis courts, archery range, softball field, riding ring, comprised of 8 acres
Maxcy also purchased 1.86 acres of land behind the president’s house going to the river for a toboggan slide. Later used for picnics
The athletic fields were a nucleus for the new campus
Snell Music Theater
The Snell Music Theater was finished in 1973. The building is 53,000 sqft and seats 450 people.
The building was named after Sara Merrick Snell. Originally form Governor she graduated from the Crane Institute of Music in 1901 and married Bertrand H. Snell who served NNY as a US Rep from 1915-1939 and congress from 1931-39. When she could she made finical contributions to Crane School for student finical aid and special equipment, which earned her the headline:
"NNY prominent women lifelong interest and loyalty to Crane"
Hosmer Hall was completed in 1974 and is the large concert hall. The building, 48,100 sqft, seats 1,400 people. The building was named after Helen Hosmer.
Helen M. Hosmer was born July 12, 1898. She graduated from Crane Normal Institute, Potsdam State Normal School in 1918. She earned her B.S. and M.A. degrees from Teachers college, Columbia University and returned to Potsdam Normal in 1922 and director in 1930. Retired in 1966. In June 1967 she was appointed Professor and Dean emeritus. She also founded the Crane Chorus and is internationally recognized as a conductor and choral adjunct.
Schuette Hall was completed in 1973,and houses the Crane library. Consisting of 53,000 sqft,it contains classrooms, listening laboratories, and computer labs.
The buliding was named after Marie A. Schuette. Schuette graduated from Oskosh Normal School in 1906 in Wisconsin And from Crane School in 1914. She taught in public schools of Wisconsin and Michigan, eventually serving as director of Music at Oregon State Normal School. She was appointed to the faculty of Crane Normal in 1923-1924 to serve as a replacement of Julia Crane (d. July 11, 1923) and named head of the institute in 1923. She served as head of crane department until 1930, when she served as a faculty member until 1948 retirement. She died in March 1965 at her home in Green Bay Wisconsin.
Bishop Hall is home to the Crane Administration, completed in 1973, and 53,800 sqft, the building houses studios, classrooms, lecture hall seating 100 persons, offices for instruct facility. The building was named after Franklin H. Bishop. A professional violinist who joined the Crane Normal Institute in 1917 and was made head of instrumental department in 1926. He developed the symphony orchestra to a position of prominence in NYS and founded the all Northern NY May festival. He served as a member of the music faculty until his death on July 28, 1943.
Completed in 1972, Bowman Hall was intended as residence hall and dining hall. The building is 219,566 square feet, and contains 806 beds and a 550 seat dining room. The building itself was named after Horace B. Bowman.
Horace Bowman taught voice and theory of music, in 1933 he was an instructor and continued until his promotion in 1955 to a full professor. He was well respected for all tours and off campus apperances of college music groups, and retired August 9th, 1969. After his death, Feb. 4, 1973, his wife send a letter to William Colby stating that Bowman has spent time in the late 50's assisting with summer renovations of new and old doms and had always had an interest in college housing. Eventually Thomas Barrington suggested the name the Bowman Hall after Horace Bowman.
Barrington Student Union
The Barrington Student Union was completed in 1970, the building, which is 76,340 square feet, was built as a replacmenet for the Old Student Union. Barrington contains offices for student organizations, lounges, recreation rooms, snack bar, large multi purpose room, and the college bookstore
Barrington Student Union was named after Dr. Thomas Barrington. Thomas Barrington obtained BA and MA degrees from SUNY Albany, and a PhD from Columbia University.
who was an Associate Professor of Mathematics and Dean of Students. He came to Potsdam in 1947 and in 1966 he was appointed Vice President for Student Affairs and named acting president in 1970. Due to budget cuts, he held both offices: By morning he was Vice President of Student Affairs and in the Afternoon he was College President.
He was the first SUNY President to ever rise for the Student Affairs area to College Administration and he was sucessful in guiding Potsdam during the transition from a teachers college to a full fledged Liberal Arts College.
The naming ceremony didnt occur till Nov. 10, 1988, 20 years after construction on the building began, May 1968. It cost 2.6 million dollars to build.
Raymond Hall was completed in 1973, replacing the newely renamed Satterlee as the administration offices. The building is 56,020 square feet, and contains all of the administration staff. It functions as a modern office building on each of the eight floors has a full outside wall of glass. Accompanying this project is a major parking lot for the campus providing over 500 parking spaces for faculty, staff, commuting students and visitors
The adminstartion building(s) are named after Benjamin Raymond.
Benjamin Raymon was born in Mass, 10/19/1774.
In 1803 he became a land agent for the Clarkson’s and laid out the Town of Potsdam in 1806 and Village of Potsdam.Raymond realized need for a church and school; built the building on now Union Street. He built mills, planned roads, erected Academy building and church and served as a county judge. He had a canal route from St. Lawrence River to Lake Champlain survey in 1823 and died at St. Georges, New Castle, Del 9/26/1824.