Carson Hall was completed in 1951 and the first building to be constructed on the new campus. The building itself is 21,800 square feet and contains classrooms for math and a small snack bar. Today we recognize Carson Hall as an academic building, and home to Tim Hortons, however the buildings original purpose was to serve as a Student Union. Attached to Carson were two of the smaller dorms, Morey and MacVicar. After the construction of the Barrington Student Union it became known as the "Old College Union".
The building itself was named after Dr. William R. Carson. Dr. Carson served as a memeber of the College Council for 21 years (1953-1974). His deep commitment to the medical profession resulted in the development of all kinds of public and private programs that were dedicated to the improvement of human condition. He also played an important role in the involvement in the St. Lawrence City Mental Health Clinic and its location on the Potsdam campus and was instrumental in the college infirmary at the Potsdam hospital. He served as a consulting Psychiatrist (without remuneration) for members of the select academic community.
Morey Hall was completed in 1951, consisting of 21, 152 Square feet, it served as a residence hall for students until its remodel. We now know the building as home to English, Foreign Language and Psychology department.
The building was named after Amelia Morey, a 1869 graduate from the Oswego Normal School. She taught at Binghamton area school before coming to serve as principle of the intermediate department practice school in September of 1869. She held respect in Arithmetic Department and Grammar and was made distinguished for executive ability to manage the department. She became Mae Preceptress of the Practice school in 1876 and was presented with a diamond ring in 1899 by the Alumni Association claiming they fell in love with her since 1869.
MacVicar Hall was completed in 1951 and served as a second residence hall for students. The building itself is 18, 692 Square Feet and now houses the Alan H. Stillman Computer Center, which was completed in 1970 and is 6,924 Sqft. According to the 1972 Pioneer, MacVicar attempted Co-Ed housing in an attempt to make productive changes on campus.
The building was named after Rev. Malcolm MacVicar. MacVicar was one of 12 children and was ordained to the Baptist Ministry in 1856. He earned a degree from the University of Rochester in 1859. He accepted a position in the Brockport Colligate Faculty until he fell ill during the 1867-68 year, due to pressure. After a trip west in the summer of 1868, he returned to New York and was offered the position of Princpal of the Normal School in Potsdam. He became the first President at the Normal School and was presented a doctorate of Laws for his work in establishing the Normal School by the University of Rochester. During his time Malcolm MacVicar accomplished many great things, he passed away in Canton, Ny.
Merritt Hall was completed in 1951. The building, which is 71,600 sqft, contains offices for Health Related Services, Sociology faculty, Dance Studios and an area for Sports activities. The building once housed dorms on the second floor, c.1954, mostly for women (The Racquette, Oct. 15,1954). A report from The Racquette, Feb. 6, 1975, tells us that an expansion was done on the building in 1975 and that the Health Clinic was located on the second floor. The building was named after General Merritt, of whom we have very little information on.
Satterlee is the most notable building for SUNY Potsdam. Completed in 1954 and 98,840 sqft it originally served as the adminstration building and was actually called Raymond Hall. It also contained offices for the School of Education and Drama and housed Art Studios.
This hall was named after Dr. O. Ward Satterlee (1907-1970 ) who was the Director of Education 1947-1969 and was the first Dean of Education at State University College at Potsdam.
Completed in 1957 and 53,147 sqft, Dunn Hall contains the offices of Dean of Liberal Studies, Directors of International Education and Special Programs, and the departments of Economics and Geography. However it use to be the Crane School of Music until 1966 when plans to construct a new Crane Building were formed. The new Crane Building was not completed until 1973. Dunn Hall, officialy named Dunn Memories Hall, was named for the Chairman of the Social Studies Department F. Roger Dunn.
Roger Dunn was Co-editor of t‘A Documentary of the American People’. He laid the ground work in the social studies department for the division of history, political science, sociology, anthropology, economics, and was a specialist in American History. He was appointed to staff in 1941 and suffered from a Heart Attack.
Van Housen Hall
Van Housen was completed in 1959 and is a residence hall. The building is 71,157 square feet and contains 300 beds. The building was named for Charles and Bernice Van Housen.
Charles Van Housen, born in 1977, was a principal at congdon campus school. He taught several summer sessions at Potsdam normal, he also was the Senior Class advisor and faculty for the Pioneer Yearbook. He died June 27, 1937.
Bernice Van Housen was born Jan. 12, 1883. She taught at Potsdam Normal for 25 years, until she retired in 1946. She was a demonstration supervisor and child psychology teacher and was a Summer session demonstration teacher of geography and English. She was also a member of the Board of Potsdam Museum and was later appointed to Director of Museum PSTC.
Sisson Hall was completed in 1958, intended as a residence hall. The building is 44,226 square feet, and contains 200 beds. The building was named for George Wing Sisson who was appointed to Potsdam Board of Trustees in 1923 and served as chairman of the board from 1937 to 1948.
College Varsity Store
The College Varsity Store was moved from Old Normal in 1954 to Raymond (Satterlee) hall. The Bookstore was open Mon-Fri 8:30-4:30. Besides selling textbooks the store also carried books, record racks, typewriters, and school supplies. The shop kept $250.00 on hand daily for cashing small checks and had a stamp machine.