South Academy Building

Dublin Core

Title

South Academy Building

Description

This is the first known photograph of the South Academy building of the St. Lawrence Academy, circa 1850. The South Academy building opened in 1837. The first floor was used primarily for the teacher department classrooms while the upper three floors were dormitories and a recitation room.

State aid for teacher training led to an increase in enrollment and the need for additional classrooms and more dormitory space. The South Academy Building was constructed to accommodate those needs.

Source

The Campus History Series: State University of New York at Potsdam

Date

1837;1850

Language

English

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Drawing

Files

South Academy Building

Citation

“South Academy Building,” SUNY Potsdam College Archives & Special Collections Digital Collections, accessed December 8, 2021, https://omeka.potsdam.edu/items/show/48.